Anaesthesia: General or epidural.
Places: Organized and well-equipped clinic.
Duration: 2 – 3 hours.
Eve: One night.
Pain – Discomfort: moderate, if there is abdominal distension and stapling the discomfort is greater. Taking painkillers for 5 – 15 days.
Swelling: Maximum in 3 days, improvement in 2-3 weeks but may take up to 3 months to completely recover. Initially, the area above the incision may look a little unnaturally inflated.
Bruises: Most of the time there are none.
Stitches: Stitches are usually absorbable and do not need to be removed.
Hypersensitivity: it is expected and can last for more than 6 months.
Bandages – Gauze: Removed in the first few days.
Cuttings: Plastic tubes (usually 2) placed inside the abdomen to prevent fluid collection called “sepsis” or “hygroma”. They are usually removed on the 2nd to 7th day (rarely).
Support: use of a special elastic band for 3 to 6 weeks. It gives more comfort and support during healing.
Sun: sun protection of the scar for at least one year with a swimsuit or sunscreen with SPF 15 is recommended. It is advisable to avoid the use of “solarium”.
Work: you need at least 10 days of rest. If the work is demanding (lifting weights) it may take up to 3 weeks.
Exercise: At 1 month postoperatively (initially at 50% of strength).
Final Result: At least 1 year for the scar to fully mature.
The abdominal area can be problematic for many women, creating anxiety and low self-esteem about their image.
Pregnancies, genetic factors, heredity, weight fluctuations and potty diets can create sagging skin, stretch marks, loose abdominal muscles and even hernias in the navel area.
With the abdominoplasty will remove excess skin, flatten the abdomen, flatten the abdomen, and tighten the abdominal muscles again. and the body will regain its youthful appearance, which will restore the depressed psychology.
In this operation it is possible to “suck” the “buns” of fat in the side countries at the same time for an even more impressive image and appearance.
Η abdominoplasty is an operation for a loose abdomen due to either previous pregnancies or weight loss after dieting. With this procedure, all the excess skin (and “stretch marks”) is removed while the abdominal muscles are strengthened internally.
Abdominoplasty can be combined with other procedures such as breast lift, rhinoplasty, cheek augmentation, genital aesthetics, liposuction, etc.
Anaesthesia: General or epidural.
At the first visit the doctor will examine you. He will be informed about your general health, determine the fat present in the abdomen and check the tone and looseness of the skin.
If, for example, there is skin laxity only below the navel it may be necessary and effective to do a mini abdominoplasty or if the skin tone is good and there is local fat there may be an indication for liposuction.
You should report to the doctor if there are problems such as:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Lung, heart or blood vessel disorders
- History of thrombophlebitis
- If you are a smoker
- If you are taking medicines
The ideal candidates:
- They are close to the ideal weight.
- Their weight is stable for at least 6 months.
- They have excess skin in the abdomen.
- They have realistic expectations.
- They are emotionally stable.
- They understand that there is always a small chance of a complication.
If you wish to lose weight, then the operation should be postponed until you reach your ideal weight.
If you are planning a pregnancy, it is better to postpone the procedure since the pregnancy process “stretches” the skin again.
A few days before the operation
- Preoperative check.
- Stop smoking at least 2 weeks before and after the surgery.
- Purchase of antibiotics and painkillers.
- It is advisable to schedule the procedure on days outside of your period.
- Light diet the day before.
- Purchase of a special orthopaedic belt (inelastic) for the back.
- Confirmation that there is no possibility of pregnancy (for women).
- It is forbidden to take aspirin at least 1 week before the operation.
The procedure is performed in a clinic usually under general anaesthesia or epidural.
First, an incision is made in the lower part of the abdomen (6 to 7 cm from the genitals).
A second incision is made around the navel.
The skin and fat are lifted from the muscular abdominal wall.
The abdominal muscles are stitched together so that a possible “separation of these” is closed and a tight abdomen is achieved, while the excess skin and fat is removed.
With a new incision, the new navel is created.
The incision is sutured and drains – tubes are placed for 4 to 5 days.
On the day of the operation
- Food and drink are prohibited if the procedure is scheduled before noon. A little coffee, tea with a toast at least 6 hours before, if done after noon.
- A nightgown is recommended, preferably with buttons.
- Avoid jewellery and jewellery.
- Recommended unpainted nails.
- The procedure can be performed (as pre-decided) under general or epidural anaesthesia.
After the operation
- Wrapping with gauze and bandages for the first 24 hours, which may cause some discomfort.
- A short walk to the clinic ward that evening.
- Light diet with yoghurt, soup, jelly etc.
- Drains (tubes) that help to collect body fluids (e.g. blood etc.)
The day after the operation
- Removal of the gauze, cleaning of the wound, application of an elastic bandage.
- Usually discharged from the clinic.
- Take antibiotics and painkillers as directed on a case-by-case basis.
- Removal of drains (sometimes can be done on the 3rd to 5th day).
- Normal diet.
In the first few days after the operation the abdomen may be slightly swollen and there may be discomfort and some pain.
The incision is usually covered with gauze for 2 weeks.
You need rest for the first 10 days or so.
It is advisable that the legs are slightly bent (knees to the abdomen) in a lying position.
The incision should not get wet for the first 2 weeks (your doctor will explain how to bathe).
Serious complications are not common. But if a complication occurs, it must be treated accordingly:
- Seroma (hydrography)
- Haematoma (<1%)
- Inflammation (<1%)
- Skin necrosis (in smokers or people with DM)
- Slow healing
- Obvious scar
- Extensive discussion with the doctor and understanding of all instructions minimizes complications
I had the abdominoplasty procedure with excellent results. My belly became like a teenager’s! Thanks to my doctor who, with this operation, raised my morale as a woman!!
I have been very pleased with my eyelid surgery. Wonderful and excellent work. I recommend Mr. Triantafyllou unreservedly. A thousand thanks.
The blepharoplasty did not cause me any pain, neither during the surgery nor afterwards. Excellent result by Mr. Triantaphyllos!
The liposuction I did was a great success. The result was excellent, taking years off my appearance!
Thank you very much for giving me back my face after a serious car accident. I am grateful for all the help you have given me.
Many thanks from me and my wife for your services in successfully removing the excess lipids from her legs. Before we visited you my wife’s psychology was very bad as a doctor had completely discouraged us.
The result after blepharoplasty surgery compensates even the most demanding ones. Reduces at least ten (10) years from the actual age!!!
An excellent doctor who knows how to do his job very well, with knowledge, experience and a lot of love for what he does. A wonderful man!
I trusted Mr. Triantafyllou for the cosmetic surgery I wanted to have and it was the wisest decision I have ever made! 20 days after the surgery and I already feel that my life has changed! I thank him from the bottom of my heart!
Thank you very much to Mr. Triantafyllou, for the successful rhinoplasty surgery. Excellent work, the result exceeded my expectations. He is an excellent doctor, with ethics, who loves his job. A big THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart, it made me very happy.