Anesthesia: General, Neuroleptoanesthesia ( intoxication) or Local.
Places: Clinic or Organised Medical Practice.
Duration: 1 – 2 hours.
Eve: Up to 4 hours.
Pain – Discomfort: Usually there is no pain, slight discomfort from the swelling (you may need a Depon-type painkiller).
Swelling – Swelling: For 7 to 14 days. It is limited if the postoperative instructions (ice, head up) are applied correctly.
Pressure – (Stripes): there are none.
Stitches: Usually removed in 4 – 7 days.
Tears: Occurs especially on a windy day, is temporary, disappears gradually.
Contact lenses: Can be worn in 7 – 14 days. Glasses can be worn immediately.
Make-up: From the 5th – 6th day.
Social reintegration: 3 -14 days with make-up (depending on the extent of the operation).
Work: Appearance is the only deterrent, otherwise it is possible in 2 – 4 days.
Exercise: Return to the gym or exercise after 2 weeks.
Sun: protection from the sun for 6 months (sunscreen with index 15 or higher).
Final Result: In 4 – 6 weeks.
Poets write about the eyes that they are “the mirror of the soul”. Whether one agrees or not, it is certainly one of the first areas where noticeable the first signs of ageing .The skin around the eyes is particularly thin and therefore susceptible to fine lines and wrinkles.
“Make the look, look”
The upper eyelid begins to slowly droop, creating the image of a tired and “angry” person all the time. Η upper blepharoplasty is a relatively quick procedure that will rid you of excess skin, creating a more more youthful and more fresher look. Women will now be able to apply makeup to the area more easily.
Bags on the lower eyelids can be seen at any age because they are caused by hereditary or genetic factors. These bags are created by the fat accumulation in the area, causing many to complain about their tired and aged “image”. With the lower blepharoplasty fat and excess skin is removed, resulting in a youthful, confident look.
“Bags” around the eyes are quite annoying and add “extra years”, revealing a tired and worn face. Women who want to get rid of them and get a calmer and more dynamic look are candidates for this procedure. It is often combined with removal of xanthoplasma or injections. Blepharoplasty removes the bags (fat) on the upper and lower eyelid, as well as the excess skin. Small surface wrinkles need treatment with peeling or laser.
Anesthesia: General, Neuroleptoanesthesia ( intoxication) or Local.
At the first visit the doctor will ask you to explain in detail what exactly is bothering you. Be Exact for the result to be as you wish.
The doctor will check the position of the forehead, the looseness of the skin, the fat deposits in the eye area that create the bags and will explain in detail what is needed. You should definitely report if you have any of the following:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Cardiovascular problems
- Thyroid diseases such as hypothyroidism
- Dry eyes (Dry eyes)
- Retinal detachment
A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE OPERATION
– Carrying out the required preoperative screening.
– Pre-operative supply of antibiotics, painkillers, Arnica cream and anti-inflammatory eye drops.
– Supply of small ice caps (small plastic bags for ice cubes to be applied to the eyes after the operation).
– The procedure is usually performed under neuroleptoanesthesia (intoxication) or local anesthesia.
– Blepharoplasty removes the fat, muscle and excess skin from the upper and lower eyelid.
– Tired eyes that have bags are corrected.
– No wrinkles (goose leg), dark circles and drooping forehead (the drooping outer part of the eyebrows) are corrected. These can be corrected with other techniques such as forehead lifting or laser resurfacing.
– Sometimes only the upper eyelid is corrected while other times only the lower one is corrected. Usually both are corrected together.
– The incisions made in the upper and lower eyelids follow the natural folds of the eye and allow the surgeon to separate the underlying muscle and reach the depths where the fat (the fat that creates the bags) is hidden. The surgeon then removes the fat and stretches the skin superficially, removing what is left over.
ON THE DAY OF THE INTERVENTION
– No water and food if the operation is scheduled before noon. If the surgery is scheduled for after noon, some tea or coffee and toast is allowed at least 6 hours before the scheduled time.
– No wigs, tweezers or jewellery are allowed. Comfortable clothes are recommended.
– Accompaniment before and after the operation and the presence of a third person during the first 24 hours is necessary.
– The patient remains in the clinic for at least 3 hours after the end of surgery.
– Blepharoplasty is an operation that is usually has no pain.
– Stitches are usually removed between the 5th and 8th day after surgery.
– During the first 2 days one should lie with the head a little high, while very cold compresses (preferably with crushed ice) are helpful for swelling and bruising in the eyes to reduce postoperative swelling.
– It is not a concern if the swelling continues to progress after the first twenty-four hours. It is expected to reach its maximum level in the first 48 to 72 hours.
– If there is pain, it is recommended to take analgesics every three to four hours, if necessary, after eating (a few crackers, jelly, etc.). If there is no pain, no medicine is taken.
– A diet that includes only fluids for the day of surgery is recommended. They should be taken gradually. The next day is the right time to start a mild diet.
– If necessary, anti-inflammatory eye drops may be used (4 times 1-2 drops per day).
– The results will be seen in 1 to 2 months.
– It is advisable to avoid eye strain in the first few days (TV, reading, computer, contact lenses, etc.).
– Contact lenses should ideally be worn after a week.
– Sunglasses protect the eyes from the wind and the sun.
– Avoiding alcohol for at least 2 weeks afterwards.
– Abstinence from exercise for at least 3 weeks (weights, gym, bicycle).
– In the first few days there may be sensitivity to light (it is advisable to wear sunglasses in the house).
– The incisions may become red at first, but they will slowly whiten and flatten out. Usually they don’t leave a mark.
– It is allowed to use make up from the 8th day for reintegration into social life.
– Intense physical exercise, e.g. aerobic exercise, lifting weights, bending, etc., should be limited for three weeks after surgery. After three weeks, activities can be gradually increased so that after the end of the third week a return to normal rhythm can be achieved.
– Systematic protection from solar radiation for at least one month (especially in summer) is required. Sunglasses, a hat with a brim and sunscreen with SPF 15 are essential.
– Symptoms such as photosensitivity or dryness of the eye disappear after a few days.
– Although the swelling subsides significantly in 7-8 days, it will take 2-3 months for the swelling to subside completely.
– In the first few days the stitches will be cleaned with the help of a cotton swab and acetic acid (3-4 times a day).
– Visits to the doctor should be repeated at 3 and 6 weeks, 3 and 6 months after surgery.
– It is a good idea to avoid mirrors immediately after surgery. No matter how thoroughly the analysis for the procedure has been done, there are likely to be minor discrepancies, such as more swelling, etc. This should not cause concern because as mentioned earlier it takes some time to heal.
Although they occur rarely, they should be reported or treated accordingly:
– Dry eye syndrome.
-Difficulty in closing the eyelid.
– Milia (small vesicles along the incision are removed).
– Obvious scar.
– Impaired vision (very rarely).
Extensive discussion with the doctor and understanding all the instructions keeps complications to a minimum.
ATTENTION: On the day of the surgery and after leaving the clinic, the patient should limit his/her activities to a minimum.
I had the abdominoplasty procedure with excellent results. My belly became like a teenager’s! Thanks to my doctor who, with this operation, raised my morale as a woman!!
I have been very pleased with my eyelid surgery. Wonderful and excellent work. I recommend Mr. Triantafyllou unreservedly. A thousand thanks.
The blepharoplasty did not cause me any pain, neither during the surgery nor afterwards. Excellent result by Mr. Triantaphyllos!
The liposuction I did was a great success. The result was excellent, taking years off my appearance!
Thank you very much for giving me back my face after a serious car accident. I am grateful for all the help you have given me.
Many thanks from me and my wife for your services in successfully removing the excess lipids from her legs. Before we visited you my wife’s psychology was very bad as a doctor had completely discouraged us.
The result after blepharoplasty surgery compensates even the most demanding ones. Reduces at least ten (10) years from the actual age!!!
An excellent doctor who knows how to do his job very well, with knowledge, experience and a lot of love for what he does. A wonderful man!
I trusted Mr. Triantafyllou for the cosmetic surgery I wanted to have and it was the wisest decision I have ever made! 20 days after the surgery and I already feel that my life has changed! I thank him from the bottom of my heart!
Thank you very much to Mr. Triantafyllou, for the successful rhinoplasty surgery. Excellent work, the result exceeded my expectations. He is an excellent doctor, with ethics, who loves his job. A big THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart, it made me very happy.